I will exalt you, O LORD, for you lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me. O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me. O LORD, you brought me up from the grave; you spared me from going down into the pit. Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; praise his holy name. For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. When I felt secure, I said, "I will never be shaken." O LORD, when you favored me, 
you made my mountain stand firm; 
but when you hid your face, I was dismayed. To you, O LORD, I called; 
to the Lord I cried for mercy: "What gain is there in my destruction, in my going down into the pit? 
Will the dust praise you? 
Will it proclaim your faithfulness? Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me; O LORD, be my help." You turned my wailing into dancing; 
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. 
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

--Psalm 30 (NIV)

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sanctuary



I am a walker. This is something I've done as far back as I can remember. There is a feeling of sanctuary in a walk. It is where I go to think and sometimes to pray. The setting isn't important, whether city street or forest path. Sometimes I walk with another carrying on a running conversation as we stroll. Sometimes I walk alone finding peace in the solitude of my steps.
Walking alone means I am sometimes a dangerous walker, or a foolish one if you wish. I go into places better visited with company or just wander off where prudence should dictate otherwise. I once walked seven miles during a near blizzard because the buses stopped running. Two years ago I suffered an injured foot. I had sat around several days, but then the pain eased up and I went walking into woods I had never been in. The trail grew narrow with muddy puddles and fallen tree trunks to navigate. I was far back when the pain returned. I honestly didn't think I would make it back to civilization against the stabbing, searing poker piercing my foot. 

Perhaps this man was as foolish as I. He was hiking along the edge of a bluff enjoying the view when he tripped and fell over a cliff. Fortunately he was able to grab a tree root growing out of a fissure in the sheer rock face. He hung there, gripping this thin vegetation screaming for help.
"Is there anyone up there?" he shouted.
A voice answered, "Yes, I am here."
"Great," said the dangling man. "Can you help me?"
"I can save you," said the voice.
"Please hurry," said the man.
"Do you believe I can save you?" asked the voice.
"Yes," said the man. "I believe you can."
"Okay," said the voice. "Let go of the root."
"What?"
"Trust me, I will save you, but first you must let go of that root."
The man was silent for a moment. Then he shouted, "Is there anyone else up there?"

The answer is no one else is up there. Of course that is my opinion. I don't think you can ever believe He can save you, unless you are willing to let go of all the other roots that you grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment