I will exalt you, O LORD, for you lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me. O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me. O LORD, you brought me up from the grave; you spared me from going down into the pit. Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; praise his holy name. For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. When I felt secure, I said, "I will never be shaken." O LORD, when you favored me, 
you made my mountain stand firm; 
but when you hid your face, I was dismayed. To you, O LORD, I called; 
to the Lord I cried for mercy: "What gain is there in my destruction, in my going down into the pit? 
Will the dust praise you? 
Will it proclaim your faithfulness? Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me; O LORD, be my help." You turned my wailing into dancing; 
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. 
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

--Psalm 30 (NIV)

Monday, September 23, 2013

Spare Thy Sparrows


Spare Thy Sparrows
I have a friend from olden days named Ronald Tipton. He does a Blog entitled "Retired in Delaware". (http://retiredindelaware.blogspot.com/) We met in third grade and I counted him as one of my best friends growing up. We were parted by time and distance for several decades, but reunited via the Internet in 2001. He was not the only friend from that period who I reunited with via cyberspace. The other is Stuart Meisel, anything but retired in Florida.
(Photo l. to r.: The Author, His Florida Friend & Retired in Delaware, 1957)
There is a bond between that is unexplainable, which I believe is the case with most truly close friends. There is much in our history, our roots and our makeup we share. I cannot imagine life without these two as friends. When friends pickup after four decades apart without communication where they left off those many years ago it speaks of the magic and mystery of friendship.
The "Retired in Delaware" Blog certainly presents a worldview different than Weeping a Night; Rejoicing a Morning does. But sometimes you see further when you see different views. I don't have to totally agree with a friend to love him or her and I would hope my friends would feel the same. I pray for my friend often, because prayer and Christianity are cornerstones of my worldview, and this is a way I can show concern for the well-being of my friend's soul as well as body. I hope he takes no offence at this. If I wished to be offensive, I would leave him out of my prayers, which would be the same as discarding him into a field as some would discard the eggs of a House Sparrow.
He once wrote a moving post about just that happening. I will not give the details, go to his site and read his post. It is sad that a creature can become as despised as the House Sparrow has become to some. It is not entirely the bird's fault, but a good example of "the road to hell being paved with good intentions". The House Sparrow is one of the most populous birds in North America, but at one time it didn't even exist here. It is not indigenous to this part of the world, but was common in Europe and Asia. In 1851, Brooklyn, New York was infested with little green worms and some one got the bright idea that bringing some House Sparrows over from England would help. It was believed House Sparrows liked to feast on little green worms. No one apparently investigated the House Sparrows ability to reproduce or their aggressive nesting habits. Now to many these rather cute little birds are considered a pestilence long after the little green worms have disappeared.
I think we three old friends from long ago have felt like House Sparrows at one time or another in our lives. Ronald, Retired in Delaware, is Gay and there are many who would have squashed his egg in the nest too.
Stuart, my Florida friend is Jewish and as a boy lived in a decidedly non-Jewish town, and there were those who would have discarded him in a field if they could.
I am blatantly Christian and that is rapidly becoming politically incorrect and many view my kind as a pest that needs to be controlled as well.

The Bible speaks of the sparrow in more encouraging terms than the Birdman mentioned in my friend's Blog.

Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may have her young--
a place near your altar...Psalm 84:3

In ancient Jerusalem the sparrows and the swallows used to find shelter and nest in the corners of the Temple and were allowed to do so. No matter how lowly a creature we may be perceived in the eyes of men, we can find comfort in the sanctuary of God if we come.
And those of us who say we trust in the Lord need to take comfort with those House Sparrows so callously thrown aside for the preference of birds that sing a more pleasing song to some ears.
"So do not be afraid of them. There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs.  Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the one who can destroy both soul and body in hell.  Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Matthew 10:26-31

No comments:

Post a Comment