I will exalt you, O LORD, for you lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me. O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me. O LORD, you brought me up from the grave; you spared me from going down into the pit. Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; praise his holy name. For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. When I felt secure, I said, "I will never be shaken." O LORD, when you favored me, 
you made my mountain stand firm; 
but when you hid your face, I was dismayed. To you, O LORD, I called; 
to the Lord I cried for mercy: "What gain is there in my destruction, in my going down into the pit? 
Will the dust praise you? 
Will it proclaim your faithfulness? Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me; O LORD, be my help." You turned my wailing into dancing; 
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. 
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

--Psalm 30 (NIV)

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Garden Party

A little girl asked her mother, 'How did the human race appear?'
The mother answered, 'God made Adam and Eve and they had children and then all mankind was made.'
Two days later the girl asked her father the same question. The father answered, 'Many years ago there were monkeys from which the human race evolved.'
The confused girl returned to her mother and said, 'Mom, how is it possible that you told me the human race was created by God, and Dad said they developed from monkeys?'
The mother answered, 'Well, dear, it is very simple. I told you about my side of the family and your father told you about his.'

It was a lovely day. I was sitting on a bench by a small garden of pretty white and pink flowers. Bees flittered back and forth between petals. I thought about the perfection of it.
In the light breeze of the afternoon you could just get a whiff of the perfume of those blossoms. Obviously the bees could smell it for they were attracted to the source of the pleasing odor, which is the reason flowers smell good in the first place. The whole design of the blossom is made to attract the bee, stick pollen to it and let it carry the pollen to another plant to impregnate it, so to speak. This is a neat little system of bees and flowers working together for their mutual benefit.
If reproduction is the benefit to the plant, what is the benefit to the bee? The bee goes from flower to flower gathering nectar to take back to the hive. In the hive the bees turn the nectar into honey. It is stored in cells and when the honey is ready, the cell is capped with wax for storage. Then comes winter when the flowers are gone to seed, the bee taps the wax and has food to last till spring.
Pretty ingenious for an accident, don't'cha think?
They say if you put some monkeys in front of typewriters they would produce all the works of Shakespeare if given enough time. How much time, do you suppose? And how would you keep the monkeys at the typewriters? And how would they live long enough? Shakespeare didn't sit at a typewriter (well, of course not, typewriters didn't exist, but he sat by a blank piece of paper with a quill) for some interminable time. He started with an idea and plan of what he wanted to say and wrote it over a short period. He designed his plays with intelligence, not chance and accident. Frankly, I don't think those monkeys would produce all those works if they pecked away for eternity. But I don't have enough faith to be an evolutionist.
Frankly, every fish I ever saw taken out of the water for any period of time evolved into a dead fish.
Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.Genesis 1:11-12
And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so. God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:24-25
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."Genesis 1:26
A belief in creationism is an act of faith. So is the belief that evolution explains how we came to what we are. I choose the more logical.

No comments:

Post a Comment