I will exalt you, O LORD, for you lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me. O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me. O LORD, you brought me up from the grave; you spared me from going down into the pit. Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; praise his holy name. For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. When I felt secure, I said, "I will never be shaken." O LORD, when you favored me, 
you made my mountain stand firm; 
but when you hid your face, I was dismayed. To you, O LORD, I called; 
to the Lord I cried for mercy: "What gain is there in my destruction, in my going down into the pit? 
Will the dust praise you? 
Will it proclaim your faithfulness? Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me; O LORD, be my help." You turned my wailing into dancing; 
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. 
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

--Psalm 30 (NIV)

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

III MORE QUESTIONS



What is God’s Sex

God is sometimes portrayed (as in this Michelangelo detail) as the compassionate dad reaching out to his children or as the angry father about to reach out for his belt to blister somebody's behind, but always as a man. (Usually as an old man as well, although God is eternal and therefore ageless, neither old or young.)

There have been some Bible's using alternative pronouns in passages and others using a neutral non-gender word to replace all male references to God. These are focused on cultural agendas, not on spiritual ones. So is God's sex really male?

God is a spirit. God is neither male nor female and God is both male and female. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:27

God created man in God's own image, male and female. I take the "man" and "him" here in the general sense of human, but even if someone wants to point to passages in First Corinthians about man being the glory of God and woman the glory of man, I contend that both female and male were created in the image of God. (The Corinthians had their own problems, which were being dealt with.) Remember, the woman is the counterpart of the man and together they are complete and then they are the complete image of God's attributes. Is God ever referred to in the feminine in the Bible?
Blessed is the man who finds wisdom,
the man who gains understanding,
for she is more profitable than silver
and yields better returns than gold.
She is more precious than rubies;
nothing you desire can compare with her.
Long life is in her right hand;
in her left hand are riches and honor.
Her ways are pleasant ways,
and all her paths are peace.
She is a tree of life to those who embrace her;
those who lay hold of her will be blessed.

By wisdom the LORD laid the earth's foundations,
by understanding he set the heavens in place;
by his knowledge the deeps were divided,
and the clouds let drop the dew. Proverbs 3:13-20

This is a portion of a longer passage concerning Wisdom found in Proverbs. Wisdom is personified as She, a woman. But the verbiage suggests Wisdom and the Word are synonymous and also says by Wisdom the Lord laid the earth's foundations. The Gospel of John tells us in the beginning the Word (Christ) was with God, and the Word was God and it was through God-Word all things were made. (Also note that Wisdom is the Tree of Life to those who embrace her, and Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". John 14:6)
God is a spirit and is sexless. Christ came to our world as a male. Jesus was born into a culture and time when women were not particularly respected, in fact, had few rights or position in society. Perhaps if women had been the powers-that-be at the time Jesus came, Christ would have come as a female.
Jesus came to our world as a male and established his Church. Christians are the Church and referred to as the body of Christ. But the Church is also spoken of in feminine terms. We, who are Christian, whether man or woman, are female to Christ's male, and as man and woman are incomplete apart, we are also incomplete apart from Christ.
Don't let Satan get you all upset about whether God is a man or woman. God is all and God should be your focus. Besides Jesus tells us there is no sex in Heaven.
So I suppose we should deal with another passage.
 When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. Genesis 6: 1-3

There are some who believe Angels, most likely the fallen ones, had sex with human beings. I doubt it. When Jesus tells us there is no sex, or marriage, in Heaven, he explains we will be like the Angels. It is implied the Angels, as spiritual beings, do not engage in sexual things. I believe this passage in Genesis refers to the Godly and sinful lines from Adam, the sons of Seth's line and the daughters of Cain's line.


The two images of God at the top of the posts are details from the works of Michelangelo.

The third image is a detail from "Pieta" by the author, 1965



What is the Purpose of Life

Want to tackle the big one? What is the purpose of life?
I am not going to consider the purpose of God. God has no obligation to explain God to me. Job tried that and what did God say:
"Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge? Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me. Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?" Job 38: 2-4
"Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him? Let him who accuses God answer him!" Job 40:2

But this is my view of the purpose of our lives: to gain perfect love.
And what is perfect love?

Is this the picture of perfect love?


No, Perfect Love is first of all to love God and after that loving others and our selves equally. I think Christ gave our purpose in life to us when he said:

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matt 22:37-40

Now, it is "love your neighbor as yourself" not more than yourself. You can't love anything if you hate yourself. How am I going to do that? Even if I make a show of loving someone, they are going to suffer because of the hurts I do to myself because I hate me. I can hate some things I do, maybe a lot of things I do, but if I hate myself I can never strive to not do those things, for I will feel I deserve the punishments they bring. I must love myself enough to want to do those things, which will not bring me harm or make me feel guilt.
People who hate themselves will begin to hate those who love them because those who love them amplify their hatred of themselves by comparison. No, you cannot love others if you hate yourself. You can only bring grief to others.
You can love yourself without loving others. That is the self-centered person who sticks a bumper sticker on their forehead reading, Me First, I Look Out for #1. And they don't mean they look out for God. They think they are god.
You can't stop hating yourself and you can't get over yourself, until you recognize there is a greater power than yourself.
Loving God supersedes all else. Our purpose in life is to love God as much as God loves us. If we love God that way, then we will also love our neighbor and love our selves.
How do we love God? By obeying Him. And if we obey, the rewards are magnificent, Heaven and all that. It shouldn't be difficult; after all, there are only Ten Commandments.
Adam and Eve only had one commandment and they couldn't even obey it. And there aren't just ten commandments there are 613.
Adam and Eve had it made toward having perfect love and blew it. Then they felt so ashamed they tried to cover themselves with leaves. They were inadequate to this task as well. God had to perform the first sacrifice to provide the cover for the first sin. We cannot obey the law of God without God doing it for us.
We cannot reach perfect love in this life, yet gaining perfect love is the purpose of this life. We can only gain perfect love and perfect obedience by putting our faith in God and accepting perfect love from him as a gift. If we do not, then we really have no purpose in life, for we may gain the world, we may even do loving things for others, but we will lose our soul.


Things I Hear About My Ilk: Which Bible?

Another characteristic I often hear leveled at we “evangelicals” is we are didactic on which Bible must be used. Well, there are some who are, but then don’t they fail their own testing of the Word? The Bible most ascribed with undeserved ultra-holiness is the King James Version. There is nothing wrong with using the King James Version if thou liketh. Truly, truly, it is very poetic with beautiful phrasing of language. But it was written for people to read in the 17th Century, very beneficial for those, yea, thee and thou spaketh that way in yore.
Besides, whose name is on the cover sheet of the Holy Bible Authorized King James Version? Do you accept King James as the final arbitrator of the Word of God? Can you find in Isaiah the verse prophesying the coming of the King James Bible as the eleventh commandment? Perhaps it is declared in Habakkuk?
The Word of God declares itself the Word of God and commands us to read the Word. We are to read only what God inspired, adding nothing to it or taking anything away from it. It is important we understand when we read the Word, so why burden us with arcane grammar and vocabulary from a long-past era?
There is only one reason to cling to some single version of the true Holy Scripture – tradition. Tradition has its place, but we should not be enslaved to it.
To take to task a Christian for their choice of Bible Translation (as long as it is a honest translation) is no different than when the Pharisees took Jesus to task for breaking traditions.
The Pharisees and some of the teachers of the law who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus and saw some of his disciples eating food with hands that were "unclean," that is, unwashed. (The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing, holding to the tradition of the elders. When they come from the marketplace they do not eat unless they wash. And they observe many other traditions, such as the washing of cups, pitchers and kettles.) Mark 7:1-4 New International Version

 [Now we are not talking here about sanitary practices. If my hands are dirty, I’m certainly going to wash them before eating. This was a ceremonial washing that gave strict rules on how much water to use, how the hands were to be attended to, how long and how many dunks, that sort of thing.]
At that season Jesus went on the sabbath day through the grainfields; and his disciples were hungry and began to pluck ears and to eat. But the Pharisees, when they saw it, said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which it is not lawful to do upon the sabbath. Matt 12:1-2 American Standard Version

[God had commanded the Sabbath be kept Holy and you should not work. However, men had built up tradition after tradition about what was and was not permissible on the Sabbath. By tradition, Jesus and his followers were guilty by just being in the field. By tradition you could only walk a very short distance on the Sabbath. Also note I capitalized Sabbath in my aside. That is modern convention. In the passage quoted, Sabbath is not capitalized. Do you think the use of the lower case has destroyed the message of the passage by breaking a language tradition?]

"I can't, sir," the sick man said, "for I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred up. While I am trying to get there, someone else always gets in ahead of me." Jesus told him, "Stand up, pick up your sleeping mat, and walk!" Instantly, the man was healed! He rolled up the mat and began walking! But this miracle happened on the Sabbath day. So the Jewish leaders objected. They said to the man who was cured, "You can't work on the Sabbath! It's illegal to carry that sleeping mat!" John 5:7-10 New Living Translation

[Do I even have to comment on this?]
In most of my postings when I quote the Bible, I use the New International Version (NIV). My former church often used the New American Standard Bible. But neither my church nor I shy away from other versions. I use the NIV for its use of modern, plain English. I don’t use different versions to give quotes because I think one version right and another wrong, but for consistency. Even though another version says the same thing in a slightly different sentence structure or choice of a word doesn’t negate it for use. However, if I used a different version for quote one and another for quote two and so on (as I did in the examples quoted as samples of tradition] some would think I am picking and choosing what suits my view rather than what God inspired. But let me be redundant in quoting Mark: 7: 13-15, repeating the passage from different versions so you see the truth of what I am talking about.
Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that." Again Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. Nothing outside a man can make him 'unclean' by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean.'" New International Version

Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye. And when he had called all the people unto him, he said unto them, Hearken unto me every one of you, and understand: There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man. If any man have ears to hear, let him hear. King James Version

…making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do." When He had called all the multitude to Himself, He said to them, "Hear Me, everyone, and understand:There is nothing that enters a man from outside which can defile him; but the things which come out of him, those are the things that defile a man.If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear!" New King James Version

…making void the word of God by your tradition, which Ye have delivered: and many such like things Ye do. And he called to him the multitude again, and said unto them, Hear me all of you, and understand: there is nothing from without the man, that going into him can defile him; but the things which proceed out of the man are those that defile the man. (If any man hath ears to hear, let him hear.) American Standard Version

As such, you break the law of God in order to protect your own tradition. And this is only one example. There are many, many others." Then Jesus called to the crowd to come and hear. "All of you listen," he said, "and try to understand. You are not defiled by what you eat; you are defiled by what you say and do!" New Living Translation

…setting aside the word of God for your tradition that ye delivered; and many such like things ye do.' And having called near all the multitude, he said to them, `Hearken to me, ye all, and understand; there is nothing from without the man entering into him that is able to defile him, but the things coming out from him, those are the things defiling the man. If any hath ears to hear -- let him hear.' Young’s Literal Translation

What if you do not speak English? Should you only be allowed to read the King James Version because that is the only proper tradition? There was a time when only Latin versions were allowed. Would you prefer to have only a Latin version of the Bible? No, you can have the language you speak, such as Spanish.

…invalidando la palabra de Dios con vuestra tradición que habéis transmitido. Y muchas cosas hacéis semejantes a estas. Y llamando a sí a toda la multitud, les dijo: Oídme todos, y entended: Nada hay fuera del hombre que entre en él, que le pueda contaminar; pero lo que sale de él, eso es lo que contamina al hombre. Reina-Valera Revisada © 1960 Sociedades Biblicas en América Latina.


Chicken or the Egg?

But you remove God from it all and the mystery remains and everything in the end comes down to faith. If the Big Bang created the universe, where did the Big Bang come from? Where does nothing end and something begin? How could nothing become something? Don't dwell too long thinking about it or it will drive you crazy, because something from nothing is impossible and there being nothing without something is impossible and there being something without end is impossible.
Ronald Tipton asked me, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg". (He has had birds much on his mind lately, Bluebirds and Sparrow and chickens in trucks.) I, of course, replied, "no, not at all".
I have reconsidered my answer. I had in mind the first sentence. Obviously, because of my belief the "chicken or egg" analogy wouldn't apply to that statement. If one wishes to accept the Big Bang Theory that the universe came suddenly into being from a singularity, then God came first and then the creation. If you wish not to believe in God, then the singularity whatever it could possibly be still came first and then the creation; in either case, no "chicken or egg" quandary.
But the last half of the paragraph is probably what my friend had in mind. It does seem to ask which came first, nothing or something. I don't think it's as straightforward as whether the chicken or egg came first. The chicken lays eggs and eggs become chickens. Oak trees produce acorns and oaks grow from acorns. Peoples have babies and babies become people. Obviously the chicken came first.***
Either way when you deal with the chicken or the egg you are dealing with something coming from something; when dealing with something coming from nothing you are in a cosmic (pun intended) paradox. This is an area if you are obsessive you do not want to enter. There are scientists who argue over this matter (or lack thereof of matter). Some physicists claim there was no space before there was the universe. Others have other ideas. They do not have agreement on an answer. Even if they would agree on an answer it would be theoretical, unobservable and not provable. Just as my belief in a creator God is, which is why whether you accept God in the equation or avow there is no God are acts of faith.
I will say this, but don't linger over it, the universe is finite; it has an end. What is at its end? And where is the end of that what? Ah, but perhaps the “what” doesn't have an end, yet how could that be? You see the conundrum here? Every possibility is impossible. Therefore, why is it any less creditable to believe in God?

***Why I say the chicken came first. My worldview is God centered. I accept the Bible as his word. How does the Bible describe the creation of birds and animals and man?
And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." And there was evening, and there was morning--the fifth day.
And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so. God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."
So God created man in his own image,in the image of God he created him;male and female he created them. --Genesis 1:20-27

God took the dust of the earth and formed a man and breathed life into the man. Man did not begin as a baby that had to grow to adulthood, but as a man. From the descriptions it seems God created the birds, fish and beasts as fully grown species of their kind, not as tadpoles and eggs. Thus the chicken came before the egg.


(The photo at the top of this post is a self-portrait taken by Ronald Tipton standing on the Rehoboth Beach.)


No comments:

Post a Comment